Monday, May 20, 2013

Everyday A Friday: The Gift of Good-Bye


 I wanted to pick back up the series I started in January. Pastor Joel Osteen's book Every Day A Friday: How to be happier 7 days a week. This book was such a blessing to me and from time to time I like to pick it up and read it again. I decided to share a couple of the chapters that were my favorites and relevant to what I'm facing in life at the moment. So with that being said I wanted to share with you, The Gift of Goodbye.

Pastor Osteen opens up this chapter sharing a story. After graduating from college he returned to his father's church to serve as the leader to the television outreach. While in this position he was mentored by an older gentleman who served as the executive producer of the television ministry. Having a long career in producing shows for various television networks he began mentoring Pastor Osteen in this new position. However, a year later the older gentleman announced that he would be leaving in a month. Pastor Osteen explained how absolutely terrified he felt having to lead this team on his own, but as time passed he became more and more comfortable with the position. It was then he realized that if his mentor would have never left he would have never realized his full potential and stepped into his destiny. That is why a goodbye can be seen as a gift. The departure of certain people in your life can be the catalyst that launches you into what God has for you.

Personally, it took me a long time to grasp this concept. When I had close friends walk out of my life I took it personally, thinking it was something I did or didn't do. Now I understand there was nothing I could've done because their purpose in my life was only meant for a season. It doesn't mean that person is bad or that you can no longer be cordial but its important to accept that their season is over. Pastor Osteen shared this scripture from 1 John 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. My understanding from that scripture is that you want people in your life who are supposed to be there. The ones who are supposed to be in your life you don't have to manipulate or walk on eggshells to keep them happy. In order for God to bring the right people into your life, you have to be willing to let the wrong people walk away. I've had to do it in the past couple of weeks, and truthfully it never gets easier but I know I'm a better person for it. So I challenge you to look at your own life and determine if there are some people worth saying goodbye to. Thanks for reading! xo.

1 comment:

  1. Sooo deep and very true. Great inspirational post. It is definitely hard to say goodbye but God knows exactly what he is doing. Such a good reminder to TRUST him. Thank you for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete

This is my first stab at blogging so I would LOVE to hear any comments you may have! Even if you don’t have a Blogger account, you are still invited to leave any comments/suggestions etc.

Thanks again for stopping by Blog Pray Love! xo